Thursday, November 18, 2010

Life gets in the way of "Life"

Ok so I’ve got a bunch of pictures for my flickr but haven’t posted many!

Have any of you guys had living actual physical life get in the way of immortalizing yourself on the internet?

Also, I find myself viewing day to day events, and my life in general in a different way since this project. It hasn’t completely altered my world view or anything, but when I’m thinking about the project I look at my life with the question “what would others want to see?”, it’s almost like I’m cutting out the dull, or if I do have a dull day I focus on the little things that I could bring out as an experience to share.

Maybe I should just have a posting… “Well today was pretty damn average”. See how that goes over.

So it’s real, it’s just the best reality I can find among all the normal boring reality I’ve got to contend with!

But hey, I’m immortalizing myself, do I want to go down in history as average, or real anyway?

Flickr is like a collage, no one is going to put a picture of something boring in a collage like, here are a bunch of colorful wild pictures, and here is a picture of me doing homework at my desk. Not exciting.

Uh oh, I’m sort of doing a virtual collage, I hope Tony doesn’t read this post :/ haha

1 comment:

  1. This quote summarizes exactly why immortalizing ourselves on the internet is not a probable concept. First, in order for the type of immortalization we are trying to achieve to be possible, we must develop automated algorithms that are consistent with our mannerisms. Secondly, by trying to post that which is interesting defeats our true nature. This is very common among blogger and 'spacebookers' in society today. We like to feel as though we have just publicized and permanently recorded our ourselves, when in reality we have only done that by what we wish to be viewed as. This, in most cases, is not consistent personal immortalization. I see an amazingly atemporal theme of our culture arising through out this project.

    ReplyDelete